Exploring Six Different Types of Product Demo VideosDate Posted: August 29, 2023
Different business scenarios require different demo types to effectively convey the value of your product, with the ultimate goal to convert customers.
Let's jump into a comprehensive guide that explores the various types of product demos, and how you can strategically utilize them to effectively market your product:
1. Explainer Demos: Simplifying Complexity
- This introductory-style video can be used to introduce features and benefits of your product using animation or graphics
- Ideal for initial introductions to your product on your website, landing page, and social media platforms
- Allows the audience to assess whether the product is right for them
Example: Dropbox Explainer Video
This video gives a brief introduction to Dropbox, highlighting that it provides a single and secure place for all of your files, using both graphics and animations.
2. Tutorial Demos: Step-by-Step Guidance
- Walks users through specific features or tasks within the product
- Suitable for support sections on websites, YouTube, and social media platforms
- A useful tool for more complex and intricate software
Example: Adobe Photoshop Tutorial - The Basics for Beginners
This video provides an introductory, step-by-step guide for beginners to the basics of using Photoshop.
3. Case Study Demos: Real-Life Success Stories
- Showcases real clients benefiting from your product
- Great to feature on websites, social media, and targeted email campaigns
Example: Avison Young Case Study Using HubSpot CRM
This video, by HubSpot, showcases the success story that client, Avison Young, has achieved by implementing the HubSpot CRM platform.
4. Product Walkthrough Demos: In-Depth Exploration
- Deep dive into product functionalities and user interface
- These product demos are typically longer in length
- Ideal to embed on feature pages or share on video platforms and/or emails
Example: Shopify Product Walkthrough: Setting Up Your Shopify Store
This video provides an in-depth tutorial to Shopify, and how to set up a Shopify store.
5. Interactive Demos: Hands-On Engagement
- Allow users to interact with the product in real time
- Ideal when wanting to quickly spark curiosity among potential customers
- Host on dedicated demo pages, embed in blogs, and use in targeted emails
This demo by HowdyGo - Interactive Product Tours provides an example of an interactive demo to Google Calendars, whereby the user can click through the various features of Google Calendars.
6. Sneak Peek Demos: Building Anticipation
- A video that offers a glimpse into upcoming features or updates of your product
- Used to generate excitement and anticipation
- Share via social media, your website, and among subscribers
Example: Apple WWDC Keynote
The Apple Keynotes, released periodically, provide an overview of the latest features introduced by Apple, educating users on what updates / features to expect with their Apple products.
From simplifying concepts to generating anticipation, each demo type offers a unique way to engage and convert potential customers.